Teaching Project Instruction Sheet
The purpose of this activity is for you to research a topic and
†present information about that topic to your classmates.
1. My groupís topic is:________________________________________________.
2. My groupís due date is: _____________________________________________.
3. My group members names and contact information are:
4. Using at least five resources (ex. books, research articles, websites, interview with an expert in the topic area, etc.) research your topic.† Remember to choose resources that relate to learning and helping college students become strategic learners.† Of the five resources, at least two must be research articles.† On the day of your presentation you should turn in a reference sheet that contains all of your resources.
5. The way in which you present your information is totally up to your group.† But you should keep in mind that your primary focus is to ďteach the information to your classmatesĒ. Therefore, you should use inventive and creative methods for helping them learn the information (keep in mind the techniques that help people move information down the memory continuum).† Think of yourself as teaching a lesson.† The information from your project will be testable information so you want to make it as clear as possible.† At least two class periods before your presentation you should schedule to meet with me during office hours to discuss the plans for your groupís lesson.
6. What should be turned in to me (stapled and in this order) on the day of your presentation:
a. An outline of your groups lesson
b. A one-page summary of your groupís topic
c. Copy of any hand-outs given to the class
d. Reference sheet (must include authorís name, journal name, pages, volume, title† of† article)
e. A log sheet of time worked for each group member detailing what he/she worked on as well as when and where he/she worked (this †should be completed on a separate sheet of paper for each individual member).
Suggestions and Comments:
1. All group members should contribute to the process of preparing for and presenting †your topic.† However, you should prepare to present alone in the event that group members do not attend class or are not prepared on the day of your scheduled presentation.
2. Your groupís presentation should be a minimum of 20 minutes in length.
3. Possible presentation methods: games, discussion, lecture, power point, hand-out, demonstration, etc. (Key to remember Ė help your classmates to learn the information so that they can apply it to their own lives).
4. You may utilize your modules but they do not count as one of your resources.
Group Presentation Grading Sheet
I. Overall Group Presentation
1.† Captured main points of topic†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 2†††††† 4††††† 6††††† 8†† 10
2.† Clearly related points to college students†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 1†††††† 2††††† 3††††† 4†††† 5
3.† Creativity used in presentation†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 1† †††††2††††† 3††††† 4†††† 5
4.† Variety used in presentation (visuals, handouts, etc.)††††††††††††††††† † 1†††††† 2††††† 3††††† 4†††† 5
5.† Emphasized application rather than summarizing†††††††††††† † 1†††††† 2††††† 3††††† 4†††† 5
6.† Appropriate length of time (20 minutes)††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 2 ††††††4††††† 6††††† 8†††† 10
7. † Understanding of the information presented†††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 1†††††† 2††††† 3††††† 4†††† 5
8.†† Enthusiasm in presentation††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† † 1†††††† 2††††† 3††††† 4†††† 5
9.† Group Evaluation (based on class grading)††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† †† 2†††††† 4††††† 6††††† 8 †††10
II. Turned-in Information
1. Outline of groups lesson††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† / 10 pts.
2. One page-summary of topic†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† / 15 pts.
3. Reference sheet††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† / 5 pts.
4. Log sheet and individual participation in group††††††††††††††† ††††††††††† / 10 pts.